Psychosocial Oncology is the field of study concerned with psychological, social and behavioural aspects of cancer. We work not only with those who have been diagnosed with cancer, but also their families, friends and the professionals who care for them. And we work across the cancer spectrum, from thinking about prevention, screening before cancer is diagnosed, through treatment, and into survivorship and end of life care.
The British Psychosocial Oncology Society (BPOS) is a multi-disciplinary organisation, originally founded in 1983. Our society aims to advance education and research in psychosocial oncology and to promote increased knowledge of this subject within oncology. After thirty years of work, our society is thriving. We work closely with international colleagues and in 2007 became a member of the IPOS International Federation of National Psychosocial Oncology Societies. We warmly welcome new members from any professional group and urge those interested in the psychosocial care of those affected by cancer to join us!
BPOS is a registered charity and is run by an elected multidisciplinary committee. We work hard to represent UK Psychosocial Oncology on a a range of research and policy driven issues. For more details on what we do, please see the News and Events page.
BPOS aims to:
- Provide a forum for professionals to meet, present research, and to discuss new ideas and developments
- Encourage research, education and higher standards of training in psychosocial oncology
- Improve the quality of care of people with cancer
- Promote knowledge and implementation of the principles of psychosocial oncology amongst those working with people with cancer and their families
BPOS offers its members:
- Discounted registration fees for the BPOS Annual Conference
- Discounted registration fees for the BPOS annual student learning event
- Biannual e-Newsletter
- Quarterly e-Bulletin
- Significantly discounted annual personal subscription rate to the journal Psycho-Oncology
- Discounted IPOS publications
Contact details for the BPOS Executive Committee can be found here and we would welcome you to contact us with any questions or enquiries. We are also committed to ensuring that the society is working for you, and providing what our members expect from us; if you have any suggestions for how we can improve what we do, we welcome you to get in touch with. And don't forget that you can now follow BPOS on Twitter for the latest news and developments, and we have a specific twitter account for BPOS students too.